and Drainlayers Board
Tradesman and Certifying examinations
The Board's registration examinations are offered through an online platform delivered by Aspeq.
Candidates can get special assessment conditions if they have a disability or difficulty which they believe could impair their performance sitting the Board’s registration examinations.
The Boards tradesman registration exams are delivered by Aspeq throughout the year, but advanced bookings are necessary.
Venues and timetables are listed on the ASPEQ website.
How to book your Tradesman exam with Aspeq
- Register with Aspeq: https://pgdb.aspeqexams.com/registration
- Log in to your PGDB trade log in: https://www.pgdb.co.nz/trade-log-in/
- Download your examination eligibility report – You can find this under the exams tab, accessible from the top menu
- Upload your eligibility report onto your Aspeq account
- Once the eligibility has been validated, you will be able to book your examination.
Contact the Aspeq team on (04) 913 9812 or by email at email@example.com if you need help.
Past examination papers from 2018 onwards
- Online examinations are generated for each sitting, so no examples are available. Watch a video about the types of questions in online exams.
Past exam papers up until 2017
- The answer papers below were compiled as guidelines for the markers of the corresponding examinations. Alternative answers, when appropriate, were marked on their own merit.
- Legislation, standards and practices mentioned in the answer papers were valid at the time of the appropriate examinations and have not been reviewed against new or updated legislation and/or bibliography.
- These are available for reference only and preparation should be based on up-to-date practices and resources.
- For technical advice and tutoring towards examinations, please contact your local or preferred training provider directly.
Certifying examinations will be offered on a regular basis on an online platform from November 2023. Moving to an online platform allows practitioners who want to become registered as a certifying plumber, gasfitter or drainlayer to do so quicker.
How will this work?
The certifying examinations will be held on a regular basis and offered through an online computerised platform delivered by Aspeq Limited.
Where will the examinations be held?
The certifying examinations will be sat at Aspeq’s examination centres. The current Aspeq examination centre locations are:
- Every week in; East Tamaki, North Shore, Hamilton, Lower Hutt, Oamaru, and Christchurch
- Every week with limited seats in: Blenheim, Greymouth, and Timaru
- Twice a month in; Tauranga, Rotorua, Palmerston North, Whanganui, Havelock North, Motueka, Blenheim, Dunedin, Wanaka, and Invercargill
- Every three weeks in; Whangārei, New Plymouth, and Gisborne
- By arrangement in some overseas locations.
What is remaining the same?
Pass marks – the pass mark will be 60%
Duration – three hours
What is going to be different?
Examinations will be available throughout the year, instead of twice a year.
The examination is part online, part paper based. The design questions will be completed on paper which will be marked within 10 working days of the examination.
Examination results will be available within 10 working days.
Depending on the size of the venue, the maximum spots available will range from one seat to 12.
Resources will be available in soft copy only unless special conditions are approved.
Can I sit the examination as many times as I need?
Yes. You can book your second attempt as early as the next available sitting. A three month stand down period will be enforced after a failed second attempt.
How can I book?
To book your examination you will need to:
Register with Aspeq
After receiving confirmation your eligibility report has been loaded, log on to your Aspeq account, book and pay for your examination.
Trade Lab's online, on-demand refresher courses
By providing a one-stop-shop for anyone sitting their PGDB examinations, Trade Lab’s ultimate goal is to help people feel confident and prepared, so they can pass with flying colours.
Trade Lab offers online refresher courses designed to take you through a logical and sequential series of modules capable of being completed in six weeks (although available for longer).
Trade Lab has helped over 200 plumbers, gasfitters, and drainlayers pass their examinations, now it's your turn!
Visit courses.tradelab.co for more information.
Other refresher courses
Tradesman examination refresher courses
Gasfitting examination refresher courses
Certifying examination refresher courses
Apply for special conditions for examinations
- Extra time
- Special assistance
- An alternative venue
- Verbal examinations
All applications for special conditions must be approved by Board before booking your examination.
Literacy and numeracy programme
If you struggle with literacy and numeracy, dyslexia; are you challenged by the use of English; or suffer from severe anxiety? You might like to sign up for the Literacy Aotearoa support programme.
If you would like to apply to sit and examination while overseas, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and request the relevant form.
How much does the examination cost?
The cost of the Tradesman and Certifying examination is $360.00.
How many questions are in each examination?
The examination consists of 70 questions with a duration of 2.5 hours.
How can I prepare for my examination?
It is recommended that you do a minimum of 200 hours of study per examination.
There are refresher courses available to candidates preparing to sit the registration examinations.
What does the examination look like?
Aspeq have published a video of what the examinations look like.
Where can I sit an examination?
I struggle with examinations, is there anything available to help me sit and pass my examination?
Special assessment conditions are available if you have a long-term disability/difficulty or a short-term disability (through accident or injury, which you believe will significantly impair your performance in examinations). Information on the special assessment conditions available can be found above these FAQs.
What should I do once I have passed my examination?
Once you have sat and passed your examination, you need to apply for registration as a tradesman. This process is not automatic.
If you need more help or have an exam question, call us on 0800 743 262 (+64 4 494 2970 from overseas) or email email@example.com