Plumbers, Gasfitters
and Drainlayers Board
close menu

Private vehicle owners

In general, you can only freedom camp on local authority land if your vehicle is certified as self-contained.  From now, until 7 June 2025, that means if you want to freedom camp your vehicle must have either a 'blue warrant' certificate of self-containment, or a 'green warrant' certificate of self-containment under the new system.


Note: The certification process for self-containment is separate from the processes relating to a vehicle’s warrant of fitness or low volume vehicle certification. In particular, any modifications made to a vehicle for the purposes of self-containment (or otherwise) may need a low volume vehicle certification. For more information, visit the Waka Kotahi website.