Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board

Do it Online...

Free Phone 0800 743 262



MEDIA RELEASE | Ditching the family bach for a motorhome? Buyer beware

The new trend of opting out of high priced coastal properties and turning to the motorhome and campervan as a new holiday preference has prompted a consumer warning.
The plumbers, gasfitters and Drainlayers Board (PGDB) reports that the increasing popularity of motorhomes and campervan travel, has seen an upsurge in complaints regarding faults and unanticipated pitfalls from consumers.

Two issues proving problematic and effectively ending the road for these unsuspecting holiday makers have been defective unauthorised gasfitting work, and the absence of a Certificate of Compliance.

Restricted gasfitting work conducted by anyone who does not hold a current licence from the PGDB is illegal activity. Reflective of the high health and safety risk associated, this offence carries a maximum fine of $50,000 – and can result in invalidation of your insurance policy.

“The Board is currently experiencing an increase in reports where the complainant had simply assumed their motorhome was compliant and gasfitting work had been carried out legally”, says Martin Sawyers, Chief Executive for the Board.

“What consumers need to know is, as of 2013 a certifying gasfitter must provide a signed gasfitting certificate where restricted work has been carried out in this scenario. Consumers should stay safe and ask for a copy of this at the time of purchase – it is peace of mind that the gasfitting work has been conducted in an authorised capacity,” said Martin.

Consumers should always ensure gasfitting certificates are kept in a safe place – as they may be needed for insurance purposes or if a motorhome is resold. If you do not have a gasfitting certificate contact Energy Safety ( in the first instance.

If a gas certificate cannot be located consumers should contact a certifying gasfitter who can issue a certificate of verification for the safety of the existing installation.

Where there is any concern that work may have been done by someone who is not authorised, or there is concern about the competency of a tradesperson, consumers should notify the Board.

To make a report, use the R.A.C app (report-a-cowboy). It is available free through the App Store and Google Play and is a direct link to the Board’s investigations team. Or go to


Contact the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board

Phone: 0800 743 262, Email:, Post: PO Box 10655, The Terrace, Wellington 6143
View full contact details
© 2019 Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board - Sitemap - Admin Login - Pipeline Login - Website by GuestTraction