Please enable JS

Hiring a tradie

Do you want to translate the page?

NZ Practising Licence

Ask for the card

All authorised tradespeople must carry their NZ Practising Licence issued by the Board. Ask to sight it before any work begins.


You can also check to see if a person is authorised by searching our online public register (left) or phone us on 0800 743 262.

Search the register >> 

No NZ Practising Licence?
Let the Board know.  Make a complaint about substandard work and illegal operators.


Checklist for hiring a tradesperson

The Board recommends before using the services of a registered tradesperson

  1. Shop around and obtain a range of written quotes before you decide.
  2. Ask to see a tradespersons a NZ Practising Licence and check the expiry date to see that it is current.
  3. Check the authorisation class on the front of the tradespersons authorisation card to ensure that the type of work to be carried out is permitted by the licence.
  4. If the work is being undertaken by anyone other than a certifying tradesperson, check the name of the registered certifying tradesperson who is responsible for certifying/verifying that the work is compliant and safe to be used.  
  5. Search the licence number of your chosen registered tradesperson on the public register. 


Meeting building code requirements

Building consents

All work carried out at your property must meet the requirements of the Building Code, regardless of whether it requires a code of compliance certificate or not.

  •  For more information on complying with the Building Code, code compliance certificates and other building matters visit www.building.govt. nz
  • There you will also find a useful guide to plumbing, drainlaying and gasfitting work that does not require a building consent.

Use these tips to help your building project run well and ensure you know how to meet your legal obligations. 

Buying or selling a home?

Get more info >>