Please enable JS

Stuff | Rookie gasfitting blunder during meth decontamination prompts caution alert to homeowners

Stuff

This Board caution comes just days after a Christchurch man, pleaded guilty to charges of breaching Gas Safety and Measurement Regulations. This Rotorua court appearance follows that gas explosion that destroyed a house in 2019 and significantly damaged surrounding properties.

Rookie gasfitting blunder during meth decontamination prompts caution alert to homeowners

Unauthorised gasfitting work by a tradesman undertaking a methamphetamine decontamination, which could have caused an explosion, has led to a caution alert to homeowners from the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board.

The caution follows a conviction in the Rotorua District Court this week. Adrian Cunningham pleaded guilty and was sentenced to a $2250 fine for carrying out restricted gasfitting work without authorisation. He was ordered to pay $130 in court costs, $113 solicitor fees and to pay reparation to the complainant of $763.55.

The PGDB said in the course of undertaking methamphetamine decontamination work, Cunningham did work that constitutes restricted gasfitting work, which included disconnecting and removing from the property a gas cooker in the kitchen and a gas heater in the lounge.