Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board

Do it Online...

Free Phone 0800 743 262

Hiring a tradesperson?

Ask for the card

All authorised tradespeople must carry their authorisation card issued by the Board. You can also check to see if a person is authorised by searching our online public register (left) or phone us on 0800 743 262.

Checklist for hiring a tradesperson

The Board recommends that before you use the services of a registered plumber, gasfitter or drainlayer you always:

  1. shop around and obtain a range of written quotes before you decide
  2. ask to see a tradespersons authorisation card and check the expiry date to see that it is current
  3. check the authorisation class on the front of the tradespersons authorisation card to ensure that the type of work to be carried out is permitted by the licence 
  4. if the work is being undertaken by anyone other than a certifying tradesperson, check the name of the registered certifying tradesperson who is responsible for certifying/verifying that the work is compliant and safe to be used.   Search the licence number of your chosen registered tradesperson on the public register. 

Types of authorisation

Other Information

Search the public register

You can search the public register to find contact details for a licensed and/or certifying tradesperson or to check the licence status of a specific plumber, gasfitter or drainlayer: (exemption holders and limited certificate trainees cannot be viewed on the public register)

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board

Phone: 0800 743 262, Email:, Post: PO Box 10655, The Terrace, Wellington 6143
View full contact details
© 2017 Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board - Sitemap - Admin Login - Pipeline Login - Website by Welman